Tuesday, November 13, 2007

You have discovered open-source software

It really is amazing how much things have changed in the past two decades. Names such as Microsoft, Apple, Novell, and Netscape were either nonexistent or just beginning to develop. It raises the question: how long will these companies stick around? Some have already seen signs of weakening or acquisition such as Novell and Netscape. Microsoft and Apple have become household names, but some have suggested this may not be the case in the future. Some analysts have even suggested that Google, while in its glory days now, may not always be so prevalent.

One interesting phenomenon of our time is open-source software. It's really quite amazing that virtual communities have flourished and come together to develop software such as Apache and Linux for free. In a way, these are the Picassos and Michaelangelos of our time, contributing to the culture of our society.

I have to say that I am somewhat biased on the subject of open-source software. Over half of my working experience has been in supporting commercial software for a business as well as a university. I have also recently accepted an offer to work for Microsoft. So I obviously feel there is merit to the idea of corporate development of software.

The real questions have to do with what will come next. My roommates and I have enjoyed playing Civilization IV as of late. In that game, you go through the technologies of history and it says things like "You have discovered combustion" or "You have discovered computers". What will be discovered next? We have seen serfdom, slavery, communism, and capitalism. The Economist alluded to the potential of open-source production to replace capitalist methods we see today, and not only in software. Will we ever be at the point where all software will be developed and distributed for free?

Perhaps I'm just not a visionary, but it's hard for me to see. I think a lot of great things have come and will continue to come out of the open-source movement. Many improvements in technology or software come from individual or collective genius, which lends itself well to volunteers in the open-source community. However, other technological breakthroughs require an R&D budget of a corporation. Some in the open-source community get this budget from other corporations in an attempt to subvert Microsoft or other companies. If you were to take away these capitalistic intricacies, then what?

The bottom line, for me at least, is that if it weren't for the compensation of a company, I couldn't see myself creating software. How long can innovation continue without compensation? Who knows - some may argue that because I feel this way, I shouldn't even be involved in the software development process. Maybe they're right. If not though, think of all the technology that we would lose by not rewarding the innovators.

Looks like I'll remain a capitalist for now. I just hope that doesn't hurt me later in the game when another civilization discovers the next form of production...

2 comments:

MackAck said...

+ 55,000 points for the Economist reference!!!

Annie said...

Nice post. It made me think of the Internet Super Giant of 1997...AOL. I remember it was THE company - no AOL meant no IM. Then tech caught up to it and AOL sank. I think I heard on the radio the other week that AOL was going to shift their focus onto internet advertising or something like that. All companies come and go as technology and innovations evolve...That is, all companies except for Apple. They created the IPOD and are therefore immortalized.