Thursday, May 22, 2008

The new place

Some people have asked to see pictures of my new apartment. (You know who you are!) For you, I dedicate a small portion of my blog.

I was somewhat surprised at how hard the decision was to find an apartment. I figured I would look at several options, and one would stand out as being "the best". It turned out that it was hard enough to narrow it down to 3 or 4, much less one. Regardless, I made my choice, and here is where I live and why.

One of the main reasons I chose this apartment was because of the size. The living room, dining room, and kitchen areas were much larger (up to 50%) and much more open. The apartment also boasts 11' ceilings. Some may consider that too open for an apartment, but I enjoy it. What I would like to change would be to have one of the walls painted, and to add some throw pillows to the couch. Oh yeah... a coffee table or dining room table wouldn't hurt. See for yourself in the following pictures: (If you don't want to click on all the links, you can see the whole album at http://picasaweb.google.com/smerkerg/Apartment)

Living area from the entrance
Living area from the back
Living area from the kitchen (most apartments had the kitchen very separated, not open like this)
Pantry in the kitchen (no other apartments I saw had as much storage space, especially in vital locations like the kitchen)
Kitchen from dining area
Kitchen - proof that it is my apartment!
"Dining Room" - further proof that it is my apartment!
In-wall bookshelf, more storage space

The bedrooms and bathrooms are nothing amazing compared to other places I looked. If they had some of the amenities here that were to be found in other apartments, it would have made this apartment that much more appealing.

Walk-in closets
Master bedroom
Master bathroom
2nd bathroom

The other downside to the apartment is the location. It was a little farther from work than I was hoping for, but so far the commute really hasn't been too bad. I don't mind driving too much, and I am exploring some other bus options as well. Hopefully I will get to the point where I can be on a work schedule that starts and/or ends during non-peak traffic times.

All in all, I've been pretty happy with my choice, and I'm enjoying the experience of having my own place!

1 comment:

Christie said...

painting the walls? throw pillows?! wow you're getting artsy :) I was sorry to hear about your loss of sense of humor though, but I'm sure you'll get it back, like you said. should I send a "get well soon" card? jk just joking. sounds like work hasn't killed you yet, and you know what they say... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, because then it has a more interesting challenge when it comes back to kill you later, also stronger, because you didn't kill IT! oh no! what were you thinking?! why didn't you kill it when you had the chance!! oh nooooo! AAH!