Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mind exercises and mental math

You've no doubt seen the ads for the Nintendo DS game that gives you puzzles for your mind. Something pops up that says 3 ? 4 = 12 and you have to figure out that the operation here is multiplication. I find that a little primitive, but I think the concept here is important.

Too often we don't exercise certain areas of our mind anymore. Especially in math. Of course, I am a little biased, seeing as how I used to be a mathlete. But I've noticed that in the 8 years since I've taken calculus, I've forgotten a lot. I was helping someone recently, and found that some of it did come back, and it was exciting to revitalize those brain cells.

Even simple math can be invigorating for the brain. It wasn't that long ago that people balanced their checkbook and figured out tips in their head. Now we have online banking and tip calculators on our cell phone. I think it's healthy to multiply numbers by 0.15 in your head (or 0.2 or 0.25, sheesh don't get angry, here in Europe it's 0.05-0.1 you know) to figure out what tip you want to leave. Quadrupling a recipe is good for the brain, 1 1/3 cup of flour for one batch, how much for 4? Recently, I decided to use my brain to figure out how to convert between mpg and liters per 100km. Often on trips I'm tempted to figure out how much faster I will arrive at my destination if I go 90 mph instead of 85 mph... assuming the speed limit is 85 mph of course...

Helping my sister with science has been another way of re-energizing those long-dormant brain cells. There are so many interesting things that we learn, even in grade school, that we should really try not to forget. Bringing them up in conversation, or just going over them in our head, will hopefully help keep them in our long-term memory. Then when your dad leans over on a Swiss train and asks what 134 times 5 is, you'll be able to give the exact answer instead of a rough guesstimate.

(P.S. Don't forget, multiplying by 5 is the same as dividing by 2 and adding a 0 - 134 / 2 = 67. Add a 0 on the end and you get 670. 134 X 5 = 670. If you're not good at dividing by 2, or you want to check your answer, break it up into smaller parts. 134 X 5 = (100 X 5) + (30 X 5) + (4 X 5) = 500 + 150 + 20 = 670.)

Sometimes I miss being a math nerd.

1 comment:

Lemonzest said...

Far be it from me to define you, but I think that this post proves you still are one! (a math nerd)

I did learn something, though, I never thought about multiplying by 5 being the same as dividing by 2 and multiplying by 10! At least I don't remember ever applying that logic. I know that I did apply different types of round-about logic to make math easier, but this one was new to me! Thanks!